EMPOWER is the name for the Expert Patient's Programme in Hull. It is a free self-management course for those who have a long term health condition and are over the age of 18. The course is delivered by volunteer tutors who're managing their own long term health conditions.
The course is 6 weeks long, running for 90 minutes each week. Within the sessions, a number of topics will be discussed, including the following:
- Dealing with pain and extreme tiredness (fatigue)
- Goal setting / Action planning
- Dealing with emotions and using your mind
- Coping with feelings of depression, anger and frustration
- Relaxation techniques and exercises
- Communicating with family, friends and healthcare professionals
- Problem solving
- Better breathing
- Healthy eating and nutrition
- Planning for the future
- Managing your symptoms and medication
The programme is designed to help you gain more control over your health condition. You will be supplied with ways to help yourself and you will gain confidence an a sense of optimism for the future. People with different long term health conditions often share many of the same problems. The social aspect of the course (meeting with other people) is the key to some participants' success.
For more information on the EMPOWER Programme, or to apply to become a volunteer, please contact the EMPOWER Co-ordinator on 01482 344057. Alternatively, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.