Our colleagues work with community partners every day; some do pro bono work for charities, others work with voluntary groups to enhance the services we provide to patients. Examples of this work are below.
Our End of Life team support volunteers from Hull Churches Home from Hospital charity by helping when personal carers are needed.
- SEED support group for people with eating disorders and their families have the use of office space within the building where our Evolve eating disorder service is based.
- The ‘Friends of Bransholme’ and ‘Friends of Morrill Street’ health centres are volunteer groups who run tea bars for patients. They are supported by our Customer Services staff.
- Palliative care pharmacists from our Macmillan team work in Dove House Hospice for three days a week providing pharmacist support to patients on the bedded unit. They also support Dove House professional staff and attend the weekly multi-disciplinary team meeting.
- Our Carers’ Information and Support Service are part of the Hull multi-cultural awareness forum and working closely with Best Hope and Humberside All Nations Alliance.
- Colleagues from our specialist palliative care team are working closely with parish nurses to support them in their voluntary work with Hull communities.
- We are working with the Doula project to support mothers experiencing perinatal mental health problems
- Patient support groups have been set up by our respiratory and cardiac nurses, who attend once a month in their own time to support these groups.
- We work closely with ERVAS, a local infrastructure charity supporting the voluntary and community sector in the East Riding.
- Our home oxygen team work in partnership with Humberside Fire and Rescue to do joint safety visits for patients using oxygen at home. They have recently produced a video with the help of Hull College students to warn against the dangers of smoking while using oxygen.
- Jackie Griffiths, senior manager in children’s community nursing services, periodically attends the parents’ forum for KIDS charity and liaises with them on the Sleep Support Programme.
- We are working with charity Downright Special to develop an integrated care pathway for children with Down ’s syndrome.