The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Service consists of nurses and physiotherapists who have a specialist knowledge of chronic lung conditions and pulmonary rehabilitation. The team works across Hull in conjunction with GPs, practice nurses and other healthcare professionals in the development and the provision of pulmonary rehabilitation and chronic lung disease management.
In practical terms, pulmonary rehabilitation is a professionally supervised programme of:
- An initial patient assessment to determine risk factors, patient needs and limitations
- A comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation programme consisting of:
- Education and health behaviour change
- Lifestyle risk factor management
- Physical activity and exercise
- Smoking cessation
- Psycho-social health
- Medical risk-factor management
- Lung protective strategies
- Long-term management plan
- A final patient reassessment to determine health status improvements following the exercise programme.
- Patients aged 18 or over
- Registered with a Hull GP
- Have a diagnosis of COPD (chronic lung disease, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer or lung transplant)
Patients must initially be referred by a GP or other health professional, though once known to the service, a patient can self-refer if their condition deteriorates.
Contact and Availability
The service can be contacted Monday - Friday, 09:00am - 17:00pm.
Hull Pulmonary Rehabilitation Team
Longhill Health Care Centre
162 - 164 Shannon Road
Tel: (01482) 247111
Fax: (01482) 335469