Our Tuberculosis (TB) nurses have specialist knowledge of TB, its management and control. The team are based in the community and provide TB services in Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire, working closely with TB doctors in the Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals Trust.
The TB Nursing team provides:
- Support for people diagnosed with Tuberculosis and their families, including medical and social support throughout the course of their treatment. We working with clients to help people complete their treatment, always being sensitive to people's situations and culture
- Advice on using directly observed treatment programme (DOT) for people with compliance issues
- Contact tracing services to assess the potential of transmission; we arrange and undertake appropriate screening and follow up of TB contacts in nurse led clinics or in the community as appropriate
- New entrant screening for people identified from high risk countries of TB with rates of 40 per 100,000 and above. The team assess and identify their risks, providing a culturally-sensitive service
- A BCG vaccination service for those identified who meet the criteria as advised by the Department of Health
- Providing a BCG vaccination service for non-NHS agencies on a contractual basis for the organisation
- Acting as a resource of TB information for other health professionals, voluntary, statutory and non statutory organisations
- Provide a diagnostic mantoux and IGRA (Interferon Gamma Release assay) service
- Working in close partnership PHE (Public Health England), providing statistics, monitoring and surveillance information and cohort review.
- Teaching programmes to raise the awareness of TB
Referral to the service is usually by a health professional, although you can can self refer to the service.
You will be seen in a clinic or at home.
Contact and Availability
The service is available Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm, excluding bank holidays.
We run clinics in a variety of sites across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Tuberculosis Nursing Team
Newington Health Centre
2 Plane St, Hull HU3 6BX
Tel: 01482 247111
Fax: 01482 344210