Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Pharmacist
What is the Service?
The Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care Pharmacists provide integrated, high quality pharmaceutical care to all patients with a life limiting illness. They serve three main areas within the community setting:
- Community Nursing and GP teams
- The Community Specialist Palliative Care Clinic
- Dove House Hospice
They act as a specialist resource for District Nurses, GPs, Community Pharmacists and all other community healthcare workers who have questions about drugs and/or prescribing within palliative and end of life care.
Aim of Service
- To provide integrated, high quality pharmaceutical care to all patients with a life limiting illness
- To be a core member of the multidisciplinary Specialist Palliative Care Clinic team
- To provide specialist pharmaceutical and clinical pharmacy support to prescribers and other healthcare workers within the palliative care setting in primary care.
- To provide formal and informal education to community staff on palliative care
- To work alongside the hospital trust and ensure seamless care for palliative care and end of life patients
Service Referral - How to Refer and Criteria
This service is open to all patients who are registered with a Hull GP or are receiving care via Dove House Hospice. You can contact the team by calling 01482 247111, and ask to speak to the Macmillan Pharmacist team.
Expected Outcomes for the Service
- To ensure that patients with a life limiting illness receive the highest possible level of pharmaceutical care, optimising their use of medicines and are provided with easy to access help and support.
Contact and Availability
This service is available Monday to Friday – 9.00am to 5.00pm (excluding Bank Holidays)
For referrals, pharmacy related questions or advice call:: Tel: 01482 247111
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org